Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Smell and Smilence

Can I just say that teaching is pretty much the greatest thing ever??  Obviously, this week of teaching is going WAY better than my 1st day.  Each of my classes this week have been incredible!  Most of my classes have never had a foreign teacher before, and 1 class literally cheered when I walked in!  Most of the students crowd around the stage (we teach on stages which is kinda intimidating, and I think I'm not supposed to get off the stage but I do anyways so I can interact with the kids) and ask me all kinds of questions about myself, my family, America, etc; some ask in English and some ask in Chinese- they're always so impressed when I reply in Chinese (even if it sounds horrible)!

My absolute favorite part of teaching so far is naming the students!  Only a few have English names, so I get to name most of the 36 students in each class, and it's so much fun!  They have to be easy names, 1 or 2 syllables, with no l's, r's, th's, w's or v's (depending on placement).  So I've been naming all of my students after my family, friends, and supporters!  The kids love it because I tell them who each name represents, and they feel so special.  I've also named some after the Good Book: Joy, Hope, Adam, Eden, Luke, John, etc.  A few of them already have English names, and these are a few of my favorites: Smell, Coli (as in E. Coli), Bubba, Cocoa, Fox, and Mauck (how cool is it that one of my students was already named my last name?! She pronounces hers Mach, though).  I've also met a student named "Smilence", it's a combination of Smile and Silence.

On another note- I had my very 1st cry-fest since coming to China.  Over the weekend I decorated the walls in my room with all the encouraging letters, cards, and pictures from my supporters, friends, and family.  I sobbed while decorating as I read each one.  You're all so amazing, and I can't possibly begin to explain how much those cards and letters mean to me!  They are now my constant reminder of the support and love I have from back home.  (If you'd like to be on my wall- feel free to write me ;-) )

And I do believe it's about time for another Chinglish example (there are so many good ones to choose from):
"You and Me Baby,if I say me to only love you. Do you can believe?"
Last thing, but I know it's going to be the best part for many of you!  This weekend, some of my teammates had the opportunity to read/study the Good Book with a brand new sister and a seeker :-D He is SOOO good!!!

1 comment:

What are your thoughts?