Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Just in case you were wondering...

Four weeks from today I'll be back in the States!!  How crazy is that?!  So here's a little look-see at what's in store for my final four weeks in China...

Friday (June 1st) is Children's Day.  Our school will spend the whole weekend celebrating with performances by each class from grades 1-6; that's around 60-65 classes/performances that we get to watch!  Actually, I'm really excited about it, cause these kids put on the most adorable performances ever!  They'll all be decked out in costumes and make-up (yes, even the boys), and the kids have to practice even more than community theaters back home do before a show.  1/3 of the classes will sing, 1/3 will recite poetry, and 1/3 will perform short plays.  Oh yeah- my team was asked to perform a dance, so we choreographed a dance to the most popular English song in China... "Baby" by Justin Beaver.  I'd made it years without ever hearing that song in its entirety and now I know every word and a choreographed dance to it (don't worry, there will be a video)!

June 15th is our last day of teaching.  Before then I'm throwing goodbye parties in each of my classes, and I'm sure I'll be an emotional wreck!  Man, I'm going to miss those kids so much.

During the last week of teaching the school leaders and government will host banquets in our (the foreign teachers) honor.  Those usually turn out to be pretty interesting experiences that make great/awkward stories later on, so get excited for those to come soon!

After that I don't have any plans until June 24th.  Maybe I'll do some traveling, or stay in Taiyuan and spend as much time as possible with everyone here, or head to Beijing early, or maybe even do a combination of all three!  Then June 24th-25th I have debriefing in Beijing with all of the other 1st year teachers that I had training with back in August.  I'm not really sure what debriefing will entail, but it's supposed to help us adjust back to Western life and prepare us for what to expect when we go back to the States.

That brings me to June 26th.  Most of us will take a group flight from Beijing to LAX; we'll leave here around 2pm and arrive in LAX at 11am the same day, three hours before we left Beijing!  Finally, I'll fly back to the East Coast and arrive late that night.  My parents and Tim and Tracie will be there to greet me- I couldn't ask for a better homecoming!

So that's the plan for my next/final four weeks here in China.  As sad as it will be to leave, I'm getting more and more excited about going back to the States as it gets closer.  I can't wait to see you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?